Monday, December 14, 2009

What is old is new again! Water Colours! pt. 1

So here's an illustration that I did quite a while ago, and unlike most older work which fills me with a deep shame and embarrassment, this I still find charming in its own way.

This was actually one of my first experiments with overlapping ink drawing on a textured wash of watercolour. It's a good thing it turned out well for me or I could have neglected this sexy mingling of mediums. This specific piece came out of a combination of overlapping events. First, was a highpoint of fascination with anatomical prints, such as Gray's Anatomy. Second, a drawing assignment where we had to pick an object to draw 40 times over in different ways and viewpoints etcetera. Thirdly, I'd recently had my wisdom teeth removed and they were sitting around on my desk in a little plastic box. I'm pretty certain I almost copied this tooth composition exactly from a print I came across, just changing the shape/ type of tooth. But I still think it's great, and maybe I'll get back to doing more of these someday. If you know any dental offices looking for art I think something like this would be amazing. It'd definitely beat lame ass prints of Orcas jumping and coastal sunsets.

No comments:

Post a Comment