Monday, December 14, 2009

What is old is new again! Water Colours! pt. 2

Again, here's a playful water colour I did some years ago.


Looking at this I notice how I've learned a few things about water colours and painting these past few years. Strangely, or maybe not, I'm not sure what other art schools are like. But at the one I attended, it didn't seem like it even occurred to most of the teachers that some sort of variations of painting techniques should be taught, or explained in some way. So up to this day I'm really learning something new with every new painting I do and supplementing that with library books on techniques and looking at other artist's work. This doesn't actually sound too unusual or bad when I type it. But those art teachers could have said, "oh by the way, there's such a thing as masking fluid, you might want to look into it, it's pretty awesome."
What I really find interesting about this particular piece is how I made it so many years ago in relative isolation from other work during that time, and how it ties into current themes I'm interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment